klr650 on trail and trench mud

Bandman57

Been on the trail more and more with my KLR and have to deal with mud. Since I have a new road bike, my KLR sees less pavement. The tires I run are a MAXUS MC54 ( front) and MC68 ( rear). These tires are NOT DOT and generally a softer tire compound. The rear tire grabs excellently and I am quite confident not getting stuck in the mud. The front is another story!!!

Because the KLR is quite front heavy, the front tire appears unstable and washes about in the mud. Standing up on the pegs seems to agravate the tire wash even worse. Standing makes the stability worse because it somehow adds weight to the front axel and the tire then only wants to agitate about while in mud, not turn and grip at all. Sitting down near the back of the seat so as to attempt to lighten the front is the only method that works better.

I realize I have a lot to learn about mud running but I am tired of having to turn around and head back because of the swamps of mud out there on even simple trails. I've mostly been in forest areas but because of all the rain, one has to deal with the deep mud. Pot hole mud is fine -- no problems here. Trench swampy mud -- no chance here, unless I can go around it. Not always the case here.

How do you guys do it? Speed up to the mud area, wheelie a bit to get the back tire into the mud first and then set the front down into the mud area and hammer the throttle? Maybe Shane Watts can do this, but me -- no can do! Incidentally, I can only barely clutch wheelie a KLR let alone get the front up while moving!

Still, it is a challenge and in most trail routes I fare well. Even been down the two foot trails with her as long as grip is there to the tires.

Any advice would help. Demonstrations would be even better.

And why I do not go on long enduro trips with groups is because of the conditions of the ground travelled upon. I don't have enough experience to keep up with the guys. May be by big_smile the Fall I may be ready.

Thanks again.

Mud hole are always a guess , your bike is on the heavy side and ground clearence is not so great . i wont suggest you gas hard before getting in the mud , you never know how deep and what your gonna hit (logs rocks ....) you wont be able to lighten up enough your front wheel to go over these obstacles . So i would slow down before getting in and gas it (with control) to keep your rear tire clean (too much gas , you dig ,not enough , your tire will pack up with mud ) then keep a steady speed trough it (let the rear wheel get the traction ) and keep your weight back . dont try to keep a very straight line , it's too hard on your arms and you're gonna get tired very fast .

I hope this could help ?

Btw :it's always better to ride mud with your buddys , when you get stuck it's hard to get out alone

Yes, thanks for the advice KTM rider. Believe me, i did get stuck in the mud once and was so glad someone else happened on the trail to assist. I usually go with my YZ250 and get in and out of mud a way lot easier.

Thanks again.

big_smile

Créez un nouveau compte ou connectez-vous pour commenter

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Inscrivez-vous pour un nouveau compte dans notre communauté. C'est facile!

Register a new account

Connexion

Vous avez déjà un compte? Connectez vous ici.

Connexion immédiate

Information importante

En utilisant ce site, vous acceptez nos Conditions d'utilisation.